Wednesday, January 21, 2009

First Video!!!!!!!

WOOHOOO!!!!! After hours upon hours of computer struggles, climbing from the abyss of technological lack of knowledge, and with copious help from friends, my first video is completed! I have semi-conquered Vegas and have uploaded my first YouTube video! In the words of Larry Lessig, I have entered back into the realm of the "RWs - the read-writers" as opposed to merely being an "RO - a read-only". This is so exciting!

The video was actually really fun to make once the initial 2 hour struggle to learn how to splice and dice videos on Vegas was over. I'm stoked about it! I even have two versions of the same movie! I liked it so much that I had to try two separate music tracks in the background. If anybody is reading this - WATCH THEM!! They're pretty cool... (maybe not, but I'm still excited!) and then leave me comments, critiques, criticisms, and/or suggestions for improvement (if you feel so inclined...).

Two Editions -
Identity through Anonymity using music from Tryad called "Alone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI38OgNYnxs

Identity through Anonymity using music from Grace Valhalla called "summerCamp"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AuPQDEuPMs

If you don't want a link - the videos can both be found under "Identity through Anonymity" on YouTube. As I start my research, I was intrigued by the reasons behind anonymity. Why do people deliberately shed the ties and links to their traditional "identity" in favor of creating an identity that essentially exists in a vacuum for an assumed limited amount of time. How does this change how people view morality? Do they still hold to their society's moral code, or do they abandon it? Do they embrace hypocrisy, do they try to make the world better? SecretPost and Anonymous/4chan/etc seem to be different sides of the same coin. One tends to use anonymity to share, comfort, create community while Anonymous tries to act as a pseudo-vigilante and as a somewhat sophomoric hedonist who derives pleasure from the plight of or attack on others, and also to create a group (if not a community). Just some thoughts...

I tried to use the connection to the black and white movie "The Invisible Man" in conjunction with clips attributed to Anonymous members to emphasize the idea of anonymity, of the power that anonymity has in generating an identity completely other and mostly divorced from the "real" identity of the person - in fact, some people call their "anonymous" or adopted personas as more real than their originals... I was wondering if perhaps there were correlations to the pursuit of anonymity to other cultures who have "true names" or who delay naming children until they begin to develop distinctly discernible personalities?

No comments:

Post a Comment